Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New compatible 6.0 Heng Long high performance IR battle receiver

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New compatible 6.0 Heng Long high performance IR battle receiver

Old 03-31-2020, 01:14 PM
Fsttanks

Received 248 Likes on 145 Posts
Default New compatible 6.0 Heng Long high performance IR battle receiver

Before you read this short thread please take a look at the thread entitled "Heng Long 6.0 Battle System review". It will help you understand the issues this new receiver solves.

For some time now I have been testing numerous aftermarket IR receivers that might be used to replace the poor performing stock HL one. Well finally I found one and it works so well it changes the entire feel of battling 6.0 HL tanks. It is now much closer to the feel of battling a Tamiya, Clark or IBU equipped tank. No longer is there an issues with bright noonday sunlight, delays in hits being read, *limited range, **limited angles of hits, or lack of a "lighted" visual hit indication(now has 4 blue or red LEDs). The new IR receiver is also rather small with a low profile and far more appealing to look at then a Tamiya IR receiver. The issues of number of hits, rate of fire and damage still exist as these are 6.0 system based, but they can be overcome with some adherences to the suggestions for rule sets I wrote about in the "Heng Long 6.0 Battle System reveiw" thread mentioned above.

The base receiver is not new it has been available for some time now for Tamiya, Clark and IBU systems and has a proven track record. It was reworked by the manufacture with a few changes that now make it compatible with the 6.0 HL system. It should be noted that the new IR receiver is HL specific and not universal with the companies other IR receiver for Tamiya, Clark and IBU.

The one big draw back is this receiver is not 100% plug and play with the stock HL 6.0 tanks IR receiver port. The stock port uses a three pin male plug and the new receiver uses a 5 pin male plug. So a new IR port 5 pin female plug must be installed along with the wiring. This is not hard, but might be a little challenging for someone with limited r/c or modeling experience. It is definitely worth the effort though for these folks.

Ok you saw the *limited range and **limited angles of hits. *The range for taking hits from stock HL and Tamiya IR bulbs has been hugely increased to 75+ feet in noonday lighting with the sunshade attached. **The receiver has four IR receiver bulbs so by design it is able to receive hits from 360 degs. The manufacture offerers a 45 deg sunshade that mimics the 45 deg hit angles of the Tamiya IR receiver. This item is not solely for their new HL receiver it is also available for their Tamiya compatible one too.

If you have any question related to this new receiver please feel free to ask. I was told the manufacture will be making these live on their order page soon. Sorry don't know the final price, but it is well under the cost of a Tamiya IR receiver.

I will post some photos of the new receiver soon, but in the mean time there are photos and videos of it during test available for viewing on my Instagram @ fsttanks so feel free to stop by and check them out.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-31-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Fsttanks

Photos of the new 6.0 Heng Long compatible IR receiver.

T72 with new IR receiver installed. Taking hits in bright sunlight from 75’ away.

New IR receivers shown here installed on Heng Long 6.0 T34 and T72.

Battle testing of new IR receivers in bright sunlight. All tanks in photo are equipped with the new receiver. 100% plus improvement in the battling experience and fun.

Side by side testing with Tamiya and stock “shaded” HL receivers(T72). New IR receiver is in the middle installed on the T34. Notice the top of the photo tank circled in red is ~80 feet away. Only the new receiver and Tamiya receiver indicated hits.

IR receivers circled in red.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-31-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks very similar to the LegoDEI version.....??

Shad
Old 03-31-2020, 02:18 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Shorty54
It looks very similar to the LegoDEI version.....??

Shad
He is the one making them. I forgot to mention that. They are as good as his Tamiya/Clark/IBU version which are becoming quite popular out west for their small profile, reasonable price and excellent functionality.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 03-31-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:24 PM
Shorty54

Very nice!
Thanks for reviewing them and sharing, very good info!

Thanks,
Shad
Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks cool. I bought one here to mount on a Tamiya Leo 1A4:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7103851...active_1&crt=1

The description:

A high performance alternative to the Tamiya IR battle receiver apples that generally run over $100 at a fraction of the cost.
This high quality, made in the USA product is compatible out of the box with most of the primary tank boards: Tamiya, Clark, IBU, ElMod, OpenPanzer etc. (If looking for HengLong, see other listing in shop)
Over 110 feet reception range under ideal conditions.
Direct upgrade for HengLong dome receivers - triple your battling range!

Utilizes ultra high-intensity LED's for hit confirmation- even visible at high noon under direct sunlight. Available in both red and blue.

Most compact, lowest profile IR receiver on the market; perfect for mounting over hatches, preserving the aesthetics of the tank.

Includes JST-XH 5 pin female to female connector cable.

Sunshade Customization:
- Circle: 360 Degree Reception - all around reception, no blind spots.
- Cross: Receiver will block hits at longer ranges at non-cardinal directions, emulating Tamiya apple behavior.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-31-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:25 PM
LegoDEI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all, if you were looking to pick some up they're now available at www.etsy.com/shop/LegoDEI
You can also find the normal Tamiya/IBU/Clark compatible version as well in the shop listings!

LegoDEI
Old 03-31-2020, 07:31 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by LegoDEI
Hey all, if you were looking to pick some up they're now available at www.etsy.com/shop/LegoDEI
You can also find the normal Tamiya/IBU/Clark compatible version as well in the shop listings!

LegoDEI
Hi, Just ordered one, a Tamiya version IR Battle Receiver V1.0. Arrives Friday. Fast shipping!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7103851...active_1&crt=1

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-01-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Besides its performance, I like its design, makes it look more as part of the tank.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Fsttanks

In response to a few PMs. Shown here the new compatible 6.0 HL IR receivers installed on three of the seven test tanks. The middle one is using the 360 deg sunshade.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-02-2020 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlitzPig (04-02-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Lockdown couch Tamiya RC Tank Infrared Battle Test.

Works and looks great! Sitting low, the drop in Tamiya receiver version sitting atop the Tamiya Receiver Base. Perfect for my backyard battle rules. Those pesky next door 10 year olds will not stand a fighting chance. John

Old 04-07-2020, 04:05 PM
LegoDEI

I'd much appreciate it if you could leave a review on Etsy. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 AM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Henglong 6.0 boards work like a charm
Old 04-20-2020, 09:31 AM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I too gave these receivers a try. 1st, I battled two IBU2U equipped tanks, one with the Tamiya Receiver, the other with LegoDEI's version. Our club uses a restrictor on the IR beam in order to make shots more difficult. Both receivers worked identically. LegoDEI's 360 sunshade, and multiple IR receivers eliminated the defensible or "blind spots" inherent in the Tamiya. I bought both shades, but liked the 360 version so much better, I didn't bother to test the zoned version. I like that the tanks could not simply rotate to avoid a hit.

Next, I replaced the stock HL receiver on a 6.0 Sherman project tank. I did build a new wire harness and printed a base for the LegoDEI receiver in order to create a clean easy install. I was not too impressed with the stock HL 6.0 receiver, but LegoDEI's is fantastic! For a small amount of money, (vs the Tamiya setup), this receiver has brought the stock HL tank into the Tamiya battleground. While some limitations, noted in the above reviews, are present, it makes the introduction of IR battling attainable for most, (those that are turned away by the gross amounts of money these tanks can cost). They are definitely worth a try.

Only one suggestion: I'd like to see a cleaner print on the "zoned" sunshade....the 360 is awesome though

Old 04-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
I too gave these receivers a try. 1st, I battled two IBU2U equipped tanks, one with the Tamiya Receiver, the other with LegoDEI's version. Our club uses a restrictor on the IR beam in order to make shots more difficult. Both receivers worked identically. LegoDEI's 360 sunshade, and multiple IR receivers eliminated the defensible or "blind spots" inherent in the Tamiya. I bought both shades, but liked the 360 version so much better, I didn't bother to test the zoned version. I like that the tanks could not simply rotate to avoid a hit.

Next, I replaced the stock HL receiver on a 6.0 Sherman project tank. I did build a new wire harness and printed a base for the LegoDEI receiver in order to create a clean easy install. I was not too impressed with the stock HL 6.0 receiver, but LegoDEI's is fantastic! For a small amount of money, (vs the Tamiya setup), this receiver has brought the stock HL tank into the Tamiya battleground. While some limitations, noted in the above reviews, are present, it makes the introduction of IR battling attainable for most, (those that are turned away by the gross amounts of money these tanks can cost). They are definitely worth a try.

Only one suggestion: I'd like to see a cleaner print on the "zoned" sunshade....the 360 is awesome though

I like your 3D printed mount. Makes for a very clean install.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:31 PM
BlitzPig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@BcuriousR Yep, that 3D mount in neat.

This is my first RC tank and recent LegoDEI IR install for my HL Sherman. Many thanks to fsttanks for his advice.

Just cut off one of the screw pillers and reshaped the slot for JST-XH, 5-pin plug.

Pushed it all the way up and a little superglue.

Height ended up perfect just clearing the hatch hinge.

A little sanding and a little paint and I think it looks pretty good.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by BlitzPig
@BcuriousR Yep, that 3D mount in neat.

This is my first RC tank and recent LegoDEI IR install for my HL Sherman. Many thanks to fsttanks for his advice.

Just cut off one of the screw pillers and reshaped the slot for JST-XH, 5-pin plug.

Pushed it all the way up and a little superglue.

Height ended up perfect just clearing the hatch hinge.

A little sanding and a little paint and I think it looks pretty good.
You did a great job on the installation. Thank you for posting pictures of the process here on RCU. I hope you post those elsewhere too. Also I like the mod to the 360 sunshade to enhance the viewing of the LEDs. I think I will do that too on my 360 shade.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 AM
LegoDEI

All the new 360 sunshades come with the holes in the top now, so you don't have to drill holes yourself. As for cleaner prints on the 45 degree sunshades, the overhangs are really the limiting factor, and to keep the labor cost down, I leave the sanding and pretty-fying to the end user =)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 PM
BlitzPig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a number of different methods for mounting the LegoDEI IR receiver but I just wanted to share my method for the HL T-72. Fsttanks mounted his after removing the gunners hatch. I wanted to leave the gunners in place so this is my method for those interested.

Stock HL T-72 turret.

Slot cut into small hatch of gunners hatch to fit a 5-pin JST-XH plug. I first debated on cutting out the small hatch altogether but wanted to minimize dead space openings to help keep dirt and stuff from getting inside the turret.

Back of connector with pigtail attached.

The connector needs to be angled so the receiver sits level due to slope of hatch.

With proper angle receiver sits level and height of connector adjusted to provide clearance with molded small hatch hinge. CA glued into place.

I think it looks as nice.

Underside shot of pigtail with wires and connectors. 3-pin JST-XH for receiver and 2-pin Dupont for LED light power.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:40 AM
paul27848

Hello, new here so might not be doing this right. Tried a couple of times yesterday to buy one of these receivers from the site hosting the device. Opted to pay by PayPal, both times the site failed to complete the purchase. Each time it responded saying I didn’t have the rights to change the contents of my basket. Anyone else had this experience?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 AM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Nope mine went through every time but I did mine over the summer you mite be seeing a glitch in there system wait sometime and try again .
Jimmy