Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Planes with SAFE

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Planes with SAFE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Jester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFE Select

Agree that SAFE ends up being a crutch and can impede the learning process. But I do have a question about SAFE Select.
i just got a new plane which has SAFE Select and would like to use it on the maiden flight to get the plane up 3 mistakes high where I can turn it off. I’ve got high and low rates set up. Do I need to be in high rates to use SS? Low rates are set to 70%.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I always launch my Parkzone Wildcat with low rates on and Safe on. Which is great for a safe level launch. But I'm am an experienced RC flier and once it's out and gains a little altitude, I turn off Safe. It's way too stable and turns are too shallow for me. I suppose I could launch with high rates on and Safe on, but the beauty is the launch is always flawless. I do the same with the landing. Low rates on, Safe on, and with reduced throttle, it will remarkably land itself. I only use Safe for my launch, landing or if I get into some weird orientation problem. Which happens.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:41 PM
Jester

Tom Nied, thank you.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Bush League

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting discussion...

but what about COVID-19?
As a newbie to the hobby I sure picked a great time! While I now have more time on my hands, the hobby shops are closed and gatherings are banned so I am pretty much on my own. In this particular circumstance SAFE equipped plans are my lifeline so that I can get out in the fresh air and try to learn to fly.
Hope everyone is safe and well.

Last edited by Bush League; 04-01-2020 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nikom (06-11-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Tom Nied

I know the feeling. I have some small RC planes I could fly at a park, but I'm considering flying a kite by myself instead. It could bring a smile to others from a distance.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:06 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a lifelong lover of aviation who flies full scale (that means a real airplane for those who might be confused), I enjoy RC from a somewhat different perspective than I think most who are in this hobby.

First of all, let me make it clear that I'm a terrible model pilot and though I think it would be nice for me to gain skills in that area, it really doesn't matter that much to me. There is a variety of reasons for that with the first one being that I live in NYC and there's not a whole lot of places to fly anywhere near me. Of the fields that I do know of and have visited, the predominant occupants have been what I can only describe as geriatric curmudgeons who made me feel almost as welcome as ants to a picnic. I don't mean this to be a blanket statement, but a great amount of model airplane guys that I've encountered strike me as being at least a little strange, which I can't say about real pilots regardless of their age. The RC airplane environment to which I have been exposed has not inspired me to hang around let alone seek flying instruction within. Fortunately I like to build and currently getting my jollies by trying my hand at scale building techniques with the help of having constant access to real aircraft for reference. If I succeed in my building endeavors to the extent that I hope, then this airplane will never leave the ground due to the inherent risk factors.

So now to finally get to the point. I like to fly models also, but not being skilled as a model pilot, I can find a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from flying foamies in SAFE mode. It doesn't matter the slightest bit to me that the airplane is doing the flying, it's doing what I want it to do most and that is fly without crashing! It also fascinates me to observe the amazing technology that's involved in this toy!

I fully appreciate the effort needed to become a proficient model pilot, but why do I need to go through the hassle when SAFE works for me? I don't need to stroke my ego by becoming an accomplished model pilot when I can fly a real plane and my ego is plenty satisfied with that. When it comes to flying models, I just want to do it for casual recreation with the least effort and leave the business of being a sky god with a toy airplane to those who feel the need for that status.
Nikom (07-25-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Tom Nied

Sounds like a rant airsteve, but you're entitled to that. I get it. I see it at my field. I actually consider myself a curmudgeon as you describe, and I'm damn proud of it. I'm 67 and I am what I am. BUT. Approach me politely, don't be a jerk, and I will be helpful to those who are beginners. I helped one old guy last season with his Apprentice. He has learned to fly it and we have a really nice friendship. But he was polite. So, do you see how we are "curmudgeons"? Mister Full Scale Pilot?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM
airsteve172

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Sounds like a rant airsteve, but you're entitled to that. I get it. I see it at my field. I actually consider myself a curmudgeon as you describe, and I'm damn proud of it. I'm 67 and I am what I am. BUT. Approach me politely, don't be a jerk, and I will be helpful to those who are beginners. I helped one old guy last season with his Apprentice. He has learned to fly it and we have a really nice friendship. But he was polite. So, do you see how we are "curmudgeons"? Mister Full Scale Pilot?
And here's the perfect example of the charming attitude where I am judged to have been an "impolite jerk" by someone who wasn't there to witness anything I may have said or done or even IF I had said anything at all.
Until now, I might have suspected that such gracious RC folks were a local phenomenon.

Last edited by airsteve172; 04-01-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:18 PM
Tom Nied

OK, Dude
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Chill out guys, you literally have nothing to argue about. I teach 8th grade girls, and have enjoyed a break from their drama. Please don't make me have to call home to discuss your attitudes.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 PM
airsteve172

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Chill out guys, you literally have nothing to argue about. I teach 8th grade girls, and have enjoyed a break from their drama. Please don't make me have to call home to discuss your attitudes.
My point is simply that with my crummy model flying skills and a lack of favorable circumstances under which to learn to really fly a model, I am actually very happy with SAFE mode in a relatively cheap foamie. While it might be only training wheels and not doing anything for me to become a respectable model pilot, I like it and I find it to be fun. It also keeps me from filling the landscape with model airplane debris on the infrequent occasions that I get to play with the thing. So there!

Last edited by airsteve172; 04-01-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Nikom (07-25-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I started this discussion back in August and have gotten a lot of different view points. Safe mode has it's place. It definitely changed the learning curve for me. When I wasn't at the flying field learning with an instructor....I was able to fly a small foamie at home learning orientation and basically just getting "stick time". Now that little foamie is flying around with no safe doing loops and rolls. Bought that F4F that Tom Nied posted the video earlier in this thread and am having a blast with it(using safe from time to time). All in all...it comes down to each person's goals and what they want to accomplish and where they can fly. I think all this technology has made it easier to get into the hobby, whether it's for simple relaxing enjoyment or to become an expert level flyer. Either way it's all good!!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:06 AM
jester_s1

And that's the goal. You've used SAFE for what it was meant to do, and I'm glad to hear you've stuck with it and had a good time learning. Anybody who does that, regardless of the path they take, has succeeded in this hobby.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:31 PM
twest51

Originally Posted by jester_s1
And that's the goal. You've used SAFE for what it was meant to do, and I'm glad to hear you've stuck with it and had a good time learning. Anybody who does that, regardless of the path they take, has succeeded in this hobby.
Agree with setting goals. I purchased an apprentice with SAFE as an option on binding. Went flying and switched on SAFE. I couldn't stand it, even as a newbie. I was comfortable with flying solo. I will tell you that practicing on the simulator sure helped. The simulator helped me more than SAFE mode would have. I turned on SAFE and and shut it off in 3 min. Could not fly the plane as it was always limiting me to a narrow flight envelope The only issue I had was landing. Need some more flights under my belt.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Tom Nied

And I agree, most of the time I fly with SAFE off, but I'm real good at losing orientation or flying on a windy day and get into trouble. Flip the switch SAFE on. It has saved me more than once.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM
jester_s1

Oh yeah, the simulator is a much better teaching tool than SAFE is.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Bush League

And I agree, most of the time I fly with SAFE off, but I'm real good at losing orientation or flying on a windy day and get into trouble. Flip the switch SAFE on. It has saved me more than once.
Got my heartrate up today, and not totally in a good way. Am getting a little more confident with the little Sport Cub S but had to bring her down in a real hurry when it started to gust. I was getting more used to flying in "advanced" mode but SAFE certainly saved my bacon again this afternoon. I will probably bind the little cub to a recently acquired DX6 in the next few days, I hope it will give me a bit more range if the plane gets too far downwind. I have a UMX Turbo Timber on the way as well. I have heard it may handle the wind a little better but it will probably be a while until I have enough confidence to take her out for more than a few lazy circuits on a calm day.

Last edited by Bush League; 04-12-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Tom Nied

Sounds good. If you can, go to a bigger plane. That will help as well. It's weird, but as an intermediate flier, that little switch Safe on has saved my butt as well. On a windy day very easy to get into trouble. And I'm floored how it will land itself. Have fun.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 04-12-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Bush League

Sounds good. If you can, go to a bigger plane...
I was seriously considering a larger plane until the local RC club airfields (all two of them) closed. I would love an RC version of the Noordyn Norseman.

Oh well, with physical distancing likely to continue for the foreseeable future the little turbo T will more than challenge me I'm sure. I hope its slightly greater size and weight will help with the wind as well. When the wind isn't too strong I love the way the Cub S floats along and can almost hover in the right conditions but landings and takeoffs are a challenge on anything but a groomed or paved surface. With its bigger wheels, larger control surfaces and more power I'm looking forward to a scaled down version of bush flying with the tiny T!

Last edited by Bush League; 04-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Redcatmcd

I have the carbon cub s+ and this is my first plane. Beginner mode hinders you 100% its very misleading and makes it very easy. Once i switched to intermediate i was hit hard with the realization that im not that good lol. I keep mine on the last mode as a very new pilot of i start to loose it i flip it to beginner till i get my bearings back and flip it back.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And that's exactly why safe mode is good for beginners....you get a little out of whack and lose orientation or you feel like you are getting out of control....you flip the switch and you save a plane.
As you practice more and get better you will get to where safe is no longer needed. In my case I am sure safe saved me a few planes....but now I never use it. To me the SIM helped me to learn how to use the sticks so that when I flew a real rc plane I was able to get it off the ground and actually fly the thing. Now where the SIM really helped is practicing landings, flying inverted, etc.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Nikom

Originally Posted by airsteve172
As a lifelong lover of aviation who flies full scale (that means a real airplane for those who might be confused), I enjoy RC from a somewhat different perspective than I think most who are in this hobby.

First of all, let me make it clear that I'm a terrible model pilot and though I think it would be nice for me to gain skills in that area, it really doesn't matter that much to me. There is a variety of reasons for that with the first one being that I live in NYC and there's not a whole lot of places to fly anywhere near me. Of the fields that I do know of and have visited, the predominant occupants have been what I can only describe as geriatric curmudgeons who made me feel almost as welcome as ants to a picnic. I don't mean this to be a blanket statement, but a great amount of model airplane guys that I've encountered strike me as being at least a little strange, which I can't say about real pilots regardless of their age. The RC airplane environment to which I have been exposed has not inspired me to hang around let alone seek flying instruction within. Fortunately I like to build and currently getting my jollies by trying my hand at scale building techniques with the help of having constant access to real aircraft for reference. If I succeed in my building endeavors to the extent that I hope, then this airplane will never leave the ground due to the inherent risk factors.

So now to finally get to the point. I like to fly models also, but not being skilled as a model pilot, I can find a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from flying foamies in SAFE mode. It doesn't matter the slightest bit to me that the airplane is doing the flying, it's doing what I want it to do most and that is fly without crashing! It also fascinates me to observe the amazing technology that's involved in this toy!

I fully appreciate the effort needed to become a proficient model pilot, but why do I need to go through the hassle when SAFE works for me? I don't need to stroke my ego by becoming an accomplished model pilot when I can fly a real plane and my ego is plenty satisfied with that. When it comes to flying models, I just want to do it for casual recreation with the least effort and leave the business of being a sky god with a toy airplane to those who feel the need for that status.
I’m right there with you. I started last year 2019 with my first plane Turbo Timber with safe select and are enjoying every flight. I turn of safe in mid air and do all the stuff, roll inverted loop and so on. Sometimes even land without safe. Since i got the Parkzone Aeroscout with safe and finally got my first edf Eflite Viper. What a beauty and once in 2 or 3 midstakes high i get full throttle over 100mph, holy Jesus! SAFE is a God send for new rc pilots if you ask me👍✈️
Old 06-18-2020, 05:56 PM
frenchstan

No, Hydro Junkie, you're wrong. Like many others, you've missed the point. Only stupid people would learn to fly WITH SAFE CONSTANTLY ON! Just like ANYTHING ELSE YOU LEARN in life, you have to constantly learn more and more. You never stay just the same. Yes, EVENTUALLY you turn it off and leave it off, but ONLY after you have intelligently taken increasing control, day after day, and learn to, EVENTUALLY handle all the flight responsibilities ALL BY YOURSELF. Why can't people get this?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM
frenchstan

Right on, init4fun. You hit it right on the head.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view but I see SAFE used in a lot of planes that perhaps should not be used as first trainers. On the plus side something like the Parkzone Wildcat may entice someone into the hobby who might otherwise not want to start off with a high wing 40 size trainer on a buddy cord. On the down side that same person might be tempted to fly in a city park with bystanders nearby and turn off SAFE too early just to see how wild a ride he can get. Used responsibly, SAFE, and stability systems like it, are great assets. But too many humans are not responsible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.