Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum radios?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum radios?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 AM
rfrantz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum radios?

I started looking for a new radio to replace my aging 12X. I would like to take advantage of the new telemetry down link abilities while retaining all my DSM2 and DMX receivers. What a surprise when I discovered neither the DX18 or DX20 are available. I sure hope Spektrum has something new up their sleave and release it soon.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

From what I heard, new yes. Soon? Not so much. End of summer.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:55 PM
rfrantz

Figures! If I find a NOS 18 or 20 it’ll be considered an old radio by the fall. Reminds me home entertainment equipment in the 80s.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I just picked up a ix12 to replace my jr12x and I’ve been super impressed with it once you get it figured out it’s super easy to program.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 PM
rfrantz

I considered the new 12 channel but being giant scale and jet flyer I’d like the opportunity to expand.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:17 PM
horsefeetky

if you are a fan of the side sliders like the old airtronics and such had you will enjoy the dx18v2... i love mine wont give it up. the v2 means voice........

and should you decide to buy a used one they are solid tx's but make sure seller de registers it a hh so you can register it in your name and be able to uploan the firmware updates as they come out.

good luck in your search
Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

The DX20 and DX18 are no longer available and not back order available the will be new line of radios like the ix 12 but more channels the ix12 right now is capable to be the 18ch radio . So be ready for something new for this year,I’m using the QQ dx18 and the dx18 Stelth both are great radios , I don’t use the voice thing it’s just annoying just sample timer vibrate and bip noise.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rfrantz;12510608]
I started looking for a new radio to replace my aging 12X. I would like to take advantage of the new telemetry down link abilities while retaining all my DSM2 and DMX receivers. What a surprise when I discovered neither the DX18 or DX20 are available. I sure hope Spektrum has something new up their sleave and release it soon.
[/QUOTE

Transmitter and receiver technology are rapidly evolving, the DX-18 and 20 both served as high-end radios with voice, telemetry and forward programming to commodate Spektrums newest RX line and AS3000 gyro. Both of these transmitters have simply reached the end of their life cycles, the gap in a "high end" radio was taken into consideration. I can tell you if you decide to purchase a DX18 or 20 on the used market, Horizon Hobby will always stand behind it and offer parts and service for many years to come.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:36 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Display

I would hope that Spektrum steps up their game when it comes to their display-the current blue lcd on their 18 and 20 is pretty lame compared to their competion. Why not a nice full color display like Futaba uses for example ?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:17 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I quit Spektrum after numerous recalls. Wasnt worth the risk. Glad I did and never looked back.

Last edited by tp777fo; 03-16-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once again Horizon discontinues a product with no replacement readily available.... We have seen this over and over and it is most aggravating... Most noticeable is in the Spektrum line... All us Spektrum guy's were pissed about the Receiver debacle of the past, which we then had to deal with recalls after the fact... I am no marketing expert, but it seems to me that if you pull popular, wanted, quality product off the shelf you should have the bigger, better, latest product that is designed to take it's place right back on the shelf, uninterrupted and ready for immediate sale.
Why even let the thoughts come to mind of your loyal customers to consider a different brand platform... If they think this is not an issue, they are dead wrong... I hear this conversation quite often in my travels from a lot of fellow modelers and past customers in the biz...
All that being said, I still take the position to defend Horizon and their products. They are a great company and have great people working and representing them in a very professional way. I hope this latest " Transition " to the new line goes a little smoother than the past ones...

Cheers,
Dan
Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

BTW: Horizon's website says the DX 20 is still in stock. Not sure why anyone could not get one, if they really want one. But, ...

I was previously looking for a backup Txer to the DX 18 and was disappointed that the only choice with >12 channels was the DX 20. The DX 18 was reasonably priced. In my opinion, the DX 20 is not. I think the HH's Marketing and Engineering people are miss-focused. There are a ton of us out there that just want a simple, reasonably priced RC Transmitter that is easy to program and flies planes with 14-18 channels. Reliability, good service and reasonable prices are what got me into Spektrum in the first place. Now it seams they have abandoned that concept. To me, it looks like they are going down the JR path of making their Txers very pricey and fairly complex to operate. Sure they are adding bells and whistles, but the result is complexity. Maybe the marketing and engineering people at HH aught to take a look back and learn from JR history!

I have a couple planes that use 14 channels and the IX12 has a ton of negative comments on-line. So I was considering the DX20. But, given the direction of the IX-12, I figured the DX20 was not going to be around long. So I waited. I really hate to give up on Spektrum. All the Spektrum transmitters that I, my kids and the club owns that I use and maintain (11 Txers) have been rock solid for years. However, given the direction Spektrum appears to be heading with the IX, why sink a lot of $s into a DX20?

As far as the future, I have doubts about any IX transmitter. All I want is a reasonably priced RC Transmitter that works reliably. I could give a crap about all the extra features that just serve to make the actual transmitter more complex to operate. I figure the people they have at HH Marketing will figure that out eventually. KISS goes a long ways, for most folks. Sure there are the folks that want all the latest and greatest features and will drop big $s to get them. There are always the crowds who have to either be the Jones or play keep up with the Jones. But what about the other 95% of us? Seems like HH is missing that market and are just bound to force us into their vision of what a good Txer should be. Unfortunately, we will end up paying a huge price for being their Beta testers on a radio that has a lot of features the majority of us will seldom or never use. So, … I stopped buying planes and radios. Gone into the wait and see mode. In the meantime, I am checking out the other brands. If I am forced to pay big $s for the next transmitter, I want to make sure I am investing in the best brand that will be around for a while and can get serviced in a reasonable time. Food for thought: Doesn't the current DX situation look like the past "JR Path?"
Old 03-16-2019, 08:16 AM
rfrantz

Thank you Tec for your explanation. I do appreciate Horizon Hobbies product support. I am confused though with the on again off again availability of the DX20. I understand the back order situation however Thursday and Friday the HH website said product no longer available. I don’t think I had a senior moment! I think Spektrum has done a pretty good job of tailoring transmitters to customer needs on the low and mid range products and I understand the lower volume sales of the high end equipment. What prompted me to comment about this is the lack of communication from the manufacturer. I have over 25 Spektrum protocol receivers mostly 9 channels and above and I would hate to consider replacing them or having to purchase a different system going forward in order to take advantage of the new data and stabilization technologies. It is obvious that manufacturers are constantly looking to improve their products so I don’t believe it would be troublesome for Spektrum/Horizon Hobby to alert their loyal customer base that new and improved products are on the way.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfrantz
Thank you Tec for your explanation. I do appreciate Horizon Hobbies product support. I am confused though with the on again off again availability of the DX20. I understand the back order situation however Thursday and Friday the HH website said product no longer available. I don’t think I had a senior moment! I think Spektrum has done a pretty good job of tailoring transmitters to customer needs on the low and mid range products and I understand the lower volume sales of the high end equipment. What prompted me to comment about this is the lack of communication from the manufacturer. I have over 25 Spektrum protocol receivers mostly 9 channels and above and I would hate to consider replacing them or having to purchase a different system going forward in order to take advantage of the new data and stabilization technologies. It is obvious that manufacturers are constantly looking to improve their products so I don’t believe it would be troublesome for Spektrum/Horizon Hobby to alert their loyal customer base that new and improved products are on the way.
I'm assuming the fluctuation in stock are the final production radios trickling in from the factory.

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
I would hope that Spektrum steps up their game when it comes to their display-the current blue lcd on their 18 and 20 is pretty lame compared to their competion. Why not a nice full color display like Futaba uses for example ?
Keeping a price point all hobbyist could afford was Spektrum's focus for many years, they never intended to compete with the 18MZ or 28X with a $2,500-$3,000 price point. It wasn't long ago the Futaba 14SG with no color screen and the DX-18 where relatively the same money. Maybe the next generation DX-?? will have a big color screen like the newer Futaba's? We will certainly find out this summer.

Last edited by Tec; 03-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I think the value of our pristine DX20's just went up until those are released.....
Old 03-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Tec;12510730]
[/QUOTE

Transmitter and receiver technology are rapidly evolving, the DX-18 and 20 both served as high-end radios with voice, telemetry and forward programming to commodate Spektrums newest RX line and AS3000 gyro. Both of these transmitters have simply reached the end of their life cycles, the gap in a "high end" radio was taken into consideration. I can tell you if you decide to purchase a DX18 or 20 on the used market, Horizon Hobby will always stand behind it and offer parts and service for many years to come.
As I've said on other forums, I didn't get an iX-12 as I'm tx poor as it is, but this nonsense has pretty much convinced me that all the money I've spent on Spektrum radio stuff the last several years was a mistake. With all the bugs/hiccups they've had with the iX-12, there's no way I'd buy an iX-20 or whatever it is they come up with. I've still got a JR 12X I use occasionally, all my gassers and one turbine are on it. Still have a QQ DX-18 with a few models on it and I've got a DX-20. That whole deal was a mess from the word go. It wasn't released when promised, the PowerSafe rx's were not released as promised and the AS3000 gyro's were not released as promised. When I finally got my DX-20 probably four months late, I only had it for several months and it got recalled/SB for some mysterious problem HH wouldn't tell us about. Turned out to be a wire chafe problem. My radio was gone for almost three months. In the meantime, the new PowerSafes came out, a month later those all got recalled to be replaced, that took five months. About a month after I got my DX-20 back, HH issued another SB saying that even if your tx had already been done, it needed to come back again. This time it was gone for a month. When it went back the first time, there was no problem, when it came back the second time, the wiring harness was misrouted and the right side gimbal wouldn't work correctly. So it had to go back the third time. While that was going on, the new PowerSafe rx's finally showed up but the AS3000's were about 8 months late. Turned out that my first one of those was backordered for 15 months.

So.... While Brian says HH will maintain the older radios for some time, I'll be a lot of the forward programming capability will NEVER show up for the DX-20 radios. How long do you think they'll keep parts for an out of production radio?

So I'm not going to wait for another Spektrum fiasco. I'll keep my QQ and the DX-20 for the time being but anything new will go where the rest of my turbines are; the Futaba 18's. I've had enough BS....
Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I can dig that, but the OP just wanted to keep his Spektrum rx's and the AS3000 is out now...... I know it sucks to send stuff back but I would much rather have a company stand behind it (and HH always does) than to be left in the dark and ignore the problem.

Zeeb I know you have a ton of TX's for sure and have a lot of experience, I've leaned on you for that a few times for sure. I know I will take a wait and see as well because my powersafes and gyros are working flawlessly with my DX20. Fingers crossed !
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Why not go with a radio that is 24 channels and has a proven track record?

A radio that when their new 24 channel radio came out, all the guys left with the old 16 channel radios got a new 24 channel radio for free?!
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by ravill
Why not go with a radio that is 24 channels and has a proven track record?

A radio that when their new 24 channel radio came out, all the guys left with the old 16 channel radios got a new 24 channel radio for free?!
You mean one of those hard to hold and heavy aluminum pizza boxes? Not a chance.

If I change radio systems again, it'll most likely be one of the new PowerBox CORE radios, 28 channels.....
Old 03-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Bob_B

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Those pizza boxes are really nice systems
maybe not the prettiest but they feature some of the best features Ive encountered in a radio.

Last edited by Bob_B; 03-17-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:00 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You mean one of those hard to hold and heavy aluminum pizza boxes? Not a chance.

If I change radio systems again, it'll most likely be one of the new PowerBox CORE radios, 28 channels.....
You see, the pizza box people didn’t leave everyone with their pants down when a new tx came out. They gave 24 channels to everyone. And getting software updates is free and easy too.

It says a lot when a company makes sure that even the old people have access to their newest developments.

Just like JR or Spektrum is doing....oh wait...
Old 03-16-2019, 02:05 PM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb

LOL, let's review simple fact. You own, and paid $8500.00 (estimate) according your posts on forums that we know. Even if you combed ALL radios you have together, you still cannot even touch functionality of 6 year old/24 channel/4096 resolution "pizzabox" that can be had for $1300.00 or less. (warranty transferable, parts available for next 10 years)
It's your money, you are welcome to do anything you like, but look at your $8500.00 investment, and at the end not much to show for.

Jr12X $1100.00 Discontinued (not 100% sure)
Spektrum DX18QQ $1050.00 Discontinued
Spektrum DX18V2 $830.00 Discontinued
Speky DX20 $1300.00 Soon to be Discontinued
Futaba 18MZ $3000.00
Futaba 18SZ $1300.00 do you have standard or 70 year Anniversary edition?

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2821929&postcount=85
Old 03-16-2019, 03:27 PM
horsefeetky

i have been thinking on a change and this may just be the time to work a deal on either a frsky horus or a jeti. both will require a new learning curve and both have great range and telemetry details to offer but i must admit the horus looks pretty tempting at the 400 buck price point..........and they are updating them with new firmware this month for even more options and details to needs
Old 03-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by ZB
Spektrum DX18QQ $1050.00 Discontinued
Spektrum DX18V2 $830.00 Discontinued
Speky DX20 $1300.00 Soon to be Discontinued
Futaba 18MZ $3000.00
Futaba 18SZ $1300.00 do you have standard or 70 year Anniversary edition?

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2821929&postcount=85
I do not have a DX-18 V2
I do have an 18MZ
I do have an 18MZ WC
I do have an 18SZ Anniversary Edition
As well as the other Spektrums you mentioned and my trusty JR 12X which has been out of production for quite some time but still works quite nicely, some of the best gimbals I've ever used on a radio.

As for your radios, I've never liked the looks of them and as I've said before, one of the club members bought one and brought it out to the field with a model for the guys to fly if they wanted. I hated the thing as soon as I picked it up and flying his model with that radio did not do anything to change my first opinion.

Now I have, and will continue to buy, some Pattern plane electrical stuff from you guys but no radios. I have no complaints about the CS on the items I've purchased. Nor have I any complaints about the CS from PowerBox. I'm old enough now that there's not really any reason to switch radios AGAIN, but the new PowerBox CORE is a very interesting radio and the reports from the guys flying them are all positive, mostly turbine guys.

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-16-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Andika

Originally Posted by ZB

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...9&postcount=85
if my memory serves me right the 12X was about $1500 not $1100

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...5&postcount=77

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.