Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum radios?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum radios?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I for one didn’t buy the pizza box radio for the look......but rather for the Telemetry and the fact that that company actually listen to customer and give them free update with the most demanded tidy bits asked....and a bunch of new things we didn’t have to asked for....

While I have flown top end JR and Futaba TX I never saw one single update.....even the 12X was just a 10X with a few upgrade at a premium price...and that was my last Japanese radio....
Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Guess we either helped HH sell a bunch of DX20s or helped them realize they really were not in stock. Today, the DX20 is listed as "no longer available." Funny thing though, as much forum bashing the Spektrum radios get for recalls, you can't find a used DX-18 for sale. Seems like if they were so bad, there would be a lot of used ones for sale. The questions I have left are: Does forum dwellers' bashing tendencies drive manufacturers to abandon good products? Is forum dwellers' stated drive for improvements driving manufacturers to add more complexity and cost as the designers try to meet stated desires? Are their designers just tech geeks who think we need all the bells and whistles and are forcing them on us at an added cost and complexity? Are the designers and marketers overly influenced by the Élites and forgetting about the flyover pilots? Will forgetting about the Non-Élites be a workable long-term strategy? All good questions to consider as we ponder our next purchases. Eh?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:34 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The DX20 has had updates, at least one that I know of.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 AM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do fly dx18v2 stealth and hold it dear to my heart. so far it does what i ask of it and i keep it for the side sliders i feel are the best feature for me. the rear sliders on others dont work for my habits from way back with airtronics and gliders using the sliders for flaps,spoilers and such.. now for me they are for smoke on left and brakes on right..

i do find the modual prices for telemetry from spektrum to be high and each one is a limited function output. gps 100 bucks energy sensor 80 bucks and then you have to change the plugs from ec3 to ec5 to get full use of the high amp rating of this sensor. they could offer one without plugs or even a second type with ec5

jeti seems to do well with jets and even gliders but im wondering if the horus frsky isnt on to something with low cost sensors and a tx with great disply costing 400 or less.....with a case........still scratching my head on this decision. so far the range of frsky is proven with quads and glider reports but the complex setup of a jet may be all my mind can handle.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 PM
pfloyd

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I do not have a DX-18 V2
I do have an 18MZ
I do have an 18MZ WC
I do have an 18SZ Anniversary Edition
As well as the other Spektrums you mentioned and my trusty JR 12X which has been out of production for quite some time but still works quite nicely, some of the best gimbals I've ever used on a radio.

As for your radios, I've never liked the looks of them and as I've said before, one of the club members bought one and brought it out to the field with a model for the guys to fly if they wanted. I hated the thing as soon as I picked it up and flying his model with that radio did not do anything to change my first opinion.

Now I have, and will continue to buy, some Pattern plane electrical stuff from you guys but no radios. I have no complaints about the CS on the items I've purchased. Nor have I any complaints about the CS from PowerBox. I'm old enough now that there's not really any reason to switch radios AGAIN, but the new PowerBox CORE is a very interesting radio and the reports from the guys flying them are all positive, mostly turbine guys.
But imagine Zeeb, with Jeti, you would have finally a radio which you can program all by yourself. No more asking for help when you need to switch ON and change models of your 18MZs. I think you should reconsider.

Last edited by pfloyd; 03-17-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pfloyd
But imagine Zeeb, with Jeti, you would have finally a radio which you can program all by yourself. No more asking for help when you need to switch ON and change models of your 18MZs. I think you should reconsider.
Who do I get to hold the d*mn thing for me?????
Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Guess we either helped HH sell a bunch of DX20s or helped them realize they really were not in stock. Today, the DX20 is listed as "no longer available." Funny thing though, as much forum bashing the Spektrum radios get for recalls, you can't find a used DX-18 for sale. Seems like if they were so bad, there would be a lot of used ones for sale. The questions I have left are: Does forum dwellers' bashing tendencies drive manufacturers to abandon good products? Is forum dwellers' stated drive for improvements driving manufacturers to add more complexity and cost as the designers try to meet stated desires? Are their designers just tech geeks who think we need all the bells and whistles and are forcing them on us at an added cost and complexity? Are the designers and marketers overly influenced by the Élites and forgetting about the flyover pilots? Will forgetting about the Non-Élites be a workable long-term strategy? All good questions to consider as we ponder our next purchases. Eh?
You don’t have to use all the high end features if you don’t want, but they are there if you want to.

Originally Posted by horsefeetky
i do fly dx18v2 stealth and hold it dear to my heart. so far it does what i ask of it and i keep it for the side sliders i feel are the best feature for me. the rear sliders on others dont work for my habits from way back with airtronics and gliders using the sliders for flaps,spoilers and such.. now for me they are for smoke on left and brakes on right..

i do find the modual prices for telemetry from spektrum to be high and each one is a limited function output. gps 100 bucks energy sensor 80 bucks and then you have to change the plugs from ec3 to ec5 to get full use of the high amp rating of this sensor. they could offer one without plugs or even a second type with ec5

jeti seems to do well with jets and even gliders but im wondering if the horus frsky isnt on to something with low cost sensors and a tx with great disply costing 400 or less.....with a case........still scratching my head on this decision. so far the range of frsky is proven with quads and glider reports but the complex setup of a jet may be all my mind can handle.
There is information out there on how to order parts from eBay/amazon and build tememetry sensors that are compaitble with Jeti. I built a gps sensor for $15 or so, and a g-force sensor for $9? Just for those that don’t know..

Personally the thin case design and smooth face of my pizza box make it great for me. My fingers slide over the face of the tx instead of getting caught in deep recessed areas for the gimbals. The weight I don’t even notice, but I didn’t notice it on my 12x either.

Last edited by camss69; 03-17-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a DX-20 in HH Service right now... A brand new radio that seems to have a mind of it's own... Locking into flight modes, rotor knob overshooting selections, skipping around the menu all on it's own... No word yet from them... I hope they have a Priest on standby, I think I got the Linda Blair Edition.... LOL !!

Danno
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
I have a DX-20 in HH Service right now... A brand new radio that seems to have a mind of it's own... Locking into flight modes, rotor knob overshooting selections, skipping around the menu all on it's own... No word yet from them... I hope they have a Priest on standby, I think I got the Linda Blair Edition.... LOL !!

Danno

LOL Danno!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 AM
rfrantz

Funny how things get around. I started this thread complaining about availability and obsolescence not performance, price or options. But it has made for good conversation.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:43 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes sir. I replied about a radio manufacturer that specifically addresses those two concerns. I.e., obsolescence and availability!

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Len Todd

BTW: I am not complaining. I was just adding food for thought. I used to be brand loyal to all kinds of manufacturers. Not so much so any more. Think I just hate change, … maybe. But, I am a bit nervous about what is in the future for the hobby in general. I know most of my members can not even afford a DX-9 w/o pain. How are they ever going to shell out > $1K for one transmitter that has a lot of features that they will never use and that drives up the cost and complexity? Kind of puts a limiting factor in front of the potential entry level jet guys.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
pfloyd

Who do I get to hold the d*mn thing for me?????
If you have 12X then your muscles are already trained.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Those pizza boxes are really nice systems
maybe not the prettiest but they feature some of the best features Ive encountered in a radio.
Except most of the crashes you see on YouTube are pizza box radios...
Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Except most of the crashes you see on YouTube are pizza box radios...
Really? Can you point me to the data you have that shows that? Not trying to start a conflict but if you have that data I’d love to see it. I can’t ever remember seeing a crash video that showed what TX the person was using...

I’d also like to see how it compares to the number of people that crashed flying Spektrum, maybe you have that data as well?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Flown on my DX18 utilizing 26 channels with the booma RC AR receiver for spectrum! Love it.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Bob, isn't interesting that half the must not have read your first post about wanting to keep and use all the RX's you currently have and want to talk about Pizza box's, Futaba tx's and what is not available. I'm in the same boat wanting to use all my current equipment and am just going to sit and wait to see what develops at HH.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Flown on my DX18 utilizing 26 channels with the booma RC AR receiver for spectrum! Love it.
Looks GREAT Kris, any movies or other shots to share? How'd it fly besides it's radio working really well????
Old 03-18-2019, 04:03 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks GREAT Kris, any movies or other shots to share? How'd it fly besides it's radio working really well????
flew great! Waiting for the guy to finish the video
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd

flew great! Waiting for the guy to finish the video
Should be plenty of pics after this weekend
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
Bob, isn't interesting that half the must not have read your first post about wanting to keep and use all the RX's you currently have and want to talk about Pizza box's, Futaba tx's and what is not available. I'm in the same boat wanting to use all my current equipment and am just going to sit and wait to see what develops at HH.
Some of us were adding a persepective being in the same boat before as with JR and we were expressing our own solutions to this very delima we had. No more, no less!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by ravill
Some of us were adding a persepective being in the same boat before as with JR and we were expressing our own solutions to this very delima we had. No more, no less!
Ravill, fully understand that some of you are just adding your thoughts some of them are helpful some are just highjacking his thread adding nothing useful. Bob and I used to work together and are in the same club and share the same interests. All I was pointing out was that some ( like at least Half) of the people didn't answer his question other than say ", buy a Futaba, buy a Jeti, look at what I fly, replace all your equipment with new everything. etc." . Bob wants to use the RX's he has that he has faith in; just wants a newer TX that is backwards compatible with his existing equipment. I spoke to my buddies at HH yesterday evening and the DX18 and 20 are discontinued with a new radio or a couple new radios coming. They just missed the mark having the new one out before running out of stock.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 PM
rfrantz

Exactly correct Ron. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Len Todd

Running out of stock is different than "No Longer Available" (DX20) and/or taking the entire description off their site (DX18). Typically, they just put out an "On backorder" notice when they run out of stock. But, ... I hope they do come up with something that is DSMX, reasonably priced and can at least work the 20 Channel PowerSafe Rxers, etc.. That would be great. In the meantime, I think I found a used DX-18 with a known history for a backup. So, I am also prepared to wait and see what they come up with. But after much discussion with several folks in the past couple days about this particular dilemma, none of us would like to go to the IX platform and none of us are looking for all the bells and whistles that adds to the complexity and cost of the IX12. To the HH Whiz Kids, KISS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.