Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Old 11-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

If you have a pc with the cortex software installed you can check to see if your cortex is set and seeing an SBus input.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:18 PM
gamalierlozada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rearranging everything and reloading all the Sbus servos from scratch to see it helps. Too bad I already have the tail servos already shielded with the aluminum tape, but I knew at some point I will have to chase stuff and maybe re-program. Thanks for all your help Bob. I'll keep you updated. It will take me a while, but I enjoy this type of puzzles. 😁
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Bob_B

What do you mean reloading the servos?
the output from the gyro is PWM.
so any std servo will work.
It sounds like you are trying to use an
SBus network out of the gyro which will NOT work.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:05 PM
gamalierlozada

Reload them and re-asign them in the transmitter. I'm trying to avoid wiring the servos into the gyro. If I do that it will be pointless to run sbus with extra wires into a gyro then just run a single wire from the gyro into the receiver. I'm trying to wire the gyro to the sbus port and get the servo signal from an sbus 2 hub into the sbus 2 port at the receiver. If I can't do that with the Cortex Pro then I'm getting something else. There's unit out there that can do that. Don't wanna mention brands because this is a Cortex Pro forum.

Last edited by gamalierlozada; 11-16-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Bob_B

It will NOT work that way.
The gyro is only designed to be used two ways.

You can feed the gyro two Rx inputs using serial bus then the outputs from the gyro can go to a powerbox type device and then PWM out put to the servos.

or

a single serial-bus input to the gyro with pwm outputs to the primary flight surfaces

you can use SBus to drive servos NOT going through the gyro

good luck
Bob
Old 11-16-2019, 03:38 PM
gamalierlozada

Originally Posted by Bob_B
It will NOT work that way.
The gyro is only designed to be used two ways.

You can feed the gyro two Rx inputs using serial bus then the outputs from the gyro can go to a powerbox type device and then PWM out put to the servos.

or

a single serial-bus input to the gyro with pwm outputs to the primary flight surfaces

you can use SBus to drive servos NOT going through the gyro

good luck
Bob
Thanks for the help. I guess no gyro for me. Up for sale soon if a bud of mine doesn't want it.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:57 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

In the serial in/serial output mode the Cortex Pro (CP) will output all channels via S Bus. You can then use a S Bus hub to connect your servos. The input to the CP must be S Bus. Not S Bus 2.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:01 PM
gamalierlozada

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
In the serial in/serial output mode the Cortex Pro (CP) will output all channels via S Bus. You can then use a S Bus hub to connect your servos. The input to the CP must be S Bus. Not S Bus 2.
Do you have any pics of that set up?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 PM
F1 Rocket

No photo readily available but the setup is simple and shown in the full manual.
One or two rx (set to S Bus) are connected to CP ports A/B. Note that if only one rx is used it must be connected to CP port A. This is what sets the serial in/serial out mode.
Do the “Input Signal” teach in.
CP ports 5/6 will now output S Bus.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Bob_B

F1 so that will drive the SBus servos as Futaba designed their SBus system.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Bob_B

Gam’ sorry I misinformed you! I was trying to help. I too like the Futaba SBus system.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 PM
gamalierlozada

F1 - Checked the long manual and it work. But the surfaces are backwards. Connected A into regular Sbus, then CP 5 into the Sbus hub. Powered up the Gyro and followed the surface program sequence. All surfaces were programed and switch established. Trying to set surfaces right. Trying the program sequence backwards. I guess the hard part has been taken care off!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 PM
gamalierlozada

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Gam’ sorry I misinformed you! I was trying to help. I too like the Futaba SBus system.
No problem Bob, you helped me more than the people at Bavarian. Sent them an email weeks ago and no response. Only 2 extra wires, that's acceptable! :-D
Old 11-17-2019, 02:20 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by gamalierlozada
F1 - Checked the long manual and it work. But the surfaces are backwards. Connected A into regular Sbus, then CP 5 into the Sbus hub. Powered up the Gyro and followed the surface program sequence. All surfaces were programed and switch established. Trying to set surfaces right. Trying the program sequence backwards. I guess the hard part has been taken care off!
If the surfaces are reversed when you move the TX sticks you need to correct this in the TX. If the CP movements are reversed there can only be two reasons.

(1) You are moving the TX sticks the wrong way during the programming sequence.

(2) You have the mounting orientation set incorrect VS the way the CP is physically mounted in the airplane. Note 1: If this is the case DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THIS BY INTENTIONALLY MOVING THE TX STICKS THE WRONG WAY DURING THE PROGRAMMING SEQUENCE! Note 2 The CP will be reset to factory default (including mounting orientation) each time the Input Signal is taught.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 AM
gamalierlozada

If the surfaces are reversed when you move the TX sticks you need to correct this in the TX. If the CP movements are reversed there can only be two reasons.

(1) You are moving the TX sticks the wrong way during the programming sequence.

(2) You have the mounting orientation set incorrect VS the way the CP is physically mounted in the airplane. Note 1: If this is the case DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THIS BY INTENTIONALLY MOVING THE TX STICKS THE WRONG WAY DURING THE PROGRAMMING SEQUENCE! Note 2 The CP will be reset to factory default (including mounting orientation) each time the Input Signal is taught.

F1 Rocket,

I got it all figured out. Went into the computer program, set up the gyro orientation, then initiate the signal teaching process, then power off/on (jumper on gyro). Did the surface programming sequence and now is reacting properly to the inputs. Only thing I did was set it up in low rates. Do it needs to be done in high rates?

Thanks Danny!! You are the man.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 AM
F1 Rocket

Stick input teach in should be done on high rates.
And please remember, the system will be reset to factory default (including the mounting orientation) each time you teach the Input Signal. Not a problem if you have the CP mounted in the default orientation which is upright with the connector socket towards the front of the airplane. Any other mounting orientation will need this reset via the software AFTER the Input Signal is taught.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:41 AM
gamalierlozada

Stick input teach in should be done on high rates.
And please remember, the system will be reset to factory default (including the mounting orientation) each time you teach the Input Signal. Not a problem if you have the CP mounted in the default orientation which is upright with the connector socket towards the front of the airplane. Any other mounting orientation will need this reset via the software AFTER the Input Signal is taught.
All taken care off. I'll be tomorrow in Melbourne for work so I might swing by the shop to grab some fittings and other things I need. Here's a pic of the final set up.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:25 PM
F1 Rocket

Melbourne,FL?
If so please come by our new shop

AeroPanda
262 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935

Old 11-17-2019, 03:34 PM
gamalierlozada

Melbourne,FL?
If so please come by our new shop

AeroPanda
262 North Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32935

Yep, landing in Melbourne, FL. Working in Cocoa Beach at the Power Plant. See you tomorrow!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:11 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by gamalierlozada
Yep, landing in Melbourne, FL. Working in Cocoa Beach at the Power Plant. See you tomorrow!
Cool. Give me a call when you head over so we know you are on the way.

407-687-3126
Old 12-12-2019, 03:05 PM
wgdenge
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Gents,
Installing my 1st CortexPro in my Futura. Been using a mercury...
Anyway, is there a way to adjust the gain in flight? On the mercury, there is an assistant that allows you to adjust the gain while flying.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I set my gyro up with a program mix . I set it at 30% gear up and 50% gear down to start using the gear switch. With futaba In program mix you can set it up to have a master to turn it off and a dial to increase it or decrease it. The reality most of the time my 30/50 just works fine. Dan

Last edited by DAN AVILLA; 12-12-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by wgdenge
Hey Gents,
Installing my 1st CortexPro in my Futura. Been using a mercury...
Anyway, is there a way to adjust the gain in flight? On the mercury, there is an assistant that allows you to adjust the gain while flying.

Cheers,
Wayne
Yes with most radio systems if you have a dial you can set the dial from 0 to 100 and keep turning up until you find the threshold.
Then move the values to a switch
Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 PM
alcastan

Default Axon to Cortex Pro

Hi, just wondering if it’s possible to convert an Axon to Cortex Pro, hardware is exactly the same, but I don’t know if it’s possible to flash the cortex firmware into an Axon

any help would be appreciated

Alejandro
Old 01-28-2020, 08:44 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helped a friend of mine setup a CP with 2 Rsats and a 900mhz with CB200 in dual path mode on the Jeti. Everything worked well on test flight and we set the gain in flight, on the next flight the CP would only give us a flashing white light on startup and would not give the double bump for the control surfaces. We did try learning the setup procedure too, does fine there but same problem once you shut down and switch on again.

What are we missing here?

Regards
Chatty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.