Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM
Bikerboy53
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bird of Time Electric Conversion

Hi all,

Anyone have a thread on this issue?, I had a brand new BOT that was stolen out of my trailer last summer, I'm just now getting a new one as they've been one of the hardest to find, now that I have it I plan on making it powered and I wanted to know if anyone has converted one to electric.

Thanks all

Biker

Last edited by Bikerboy53; 09-09-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:47 AM
Hacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bikerboy,
I am in the process of building a wood BOT and converting it to electric. I am going to have to make a custom wood former wider than what the plans call for. Working on that now. Do you have the arf or the wood kit ? Also I am not on the forum that much but I will try to post some pics for you
Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I don't have a BOT but do a fair amount of E powered sailplanes. If you are looking for suggestions on power systems I can help.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Hacker

hey speed racer,
Thank you for the reply. I am a long time rc nut but fairly new to electric power. I am powering my bot with a cobra 2826/12 kv=760. My question is ; do I use the long shaft at the mount side with a collet and folding prop or the other end and use the prop shaft adapter that comes with the motor? Thanks for any help. If you could post a pic of a similar set up that would be great.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

That looks like a good choice of motor. Looks to be around 450-500 watts with 3cell and 14x8 Cam folding prop. Get a collet type spinner/prop adapter for the correct shaft size. Looks like you will need a minimum of 40 amp ESC. Your battery size will be determined by CG. Go with the smallest battery that will give you a CG of 35% to 40% of wing cord at the fuselage. Keep in mind that the smaller the battery capacity the higher the discharge rate must be. For example, my Supra balances with a 3 cell 850 ma battery and I run 80c Pulse batteries. If I were running 1300 ma then I could get by with a 50c battery.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 PM
glideher

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

with teh bird of time you must make sure the battery is the right Mah in terms of weight, or else the tail will end up too heavy and throw off your CG, speedracerntrixie might be right a 850 will work work, you wont need too much weight or too big of a motor as you only want to climb up and glide most of the time
Old 12-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Bikerboy53

Hey Hacker,

Sorry it took so long to reply...I have the ARF, I just got a whole new kit to replace a fuse that was stolen outta my trailer, ended up having to buy the whole kit just to get the fuse....
Old 12-12-2019, 06:25 AM
Bikerboy53

Thank you Glideher :-)…..helps a bunch

Biker
Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 PM
prizebull

I have a BOT and for now just wanna leave as is. But I want to e power a gentle lady. Any suggestions for that?