Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

FunAero S.E.5a build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

FunAero S.E.5a build

Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 PM
tom johnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FunAero S.E.5a build

The Funaero kit is just that : a "fun" scale kit. It is not supposed to be museum quality. It just looks terrific in the air and is FUN to fly.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress? I'm dying for my next "fix"
Old 08-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Mindwarp

Hehe, me too!

I've got a 'perfect storm' of incidences happening at the moment:

1) My wife is just about out of the first trimester with our third child. Unfortunately she's still suffering from horrible morning sickness and fatigue, so I've been trying to help out around the house (side note - I REALLY need to get this plane done before the end of next February!)

2) Work has cranked up a notch due to our up-and-coming software release, which means that I'm getting home a lot later than I was.

3) I slipped over on Monday and sprained my ankle so badly that I'm currently hobbling around on crutches. This definitely makes the basement stairs inaccessible to me

Hopefully my ankle will be good enough to tackle the stairs this weekend and I'll finally be able to get the fuselage sheeting completed.

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Mindwarp

My ankle's finally feeling better now, so it was time to test out the basement stairs and complete the sheeting of the fuselage.

Fuselage Sheeting

So the last time I posted build progress I'd just completed sheeting the cowl and the front of the fuselage. First order of the day was therefore sheeting back to the cockpit firewall. In order to make sheeting the cockpit easier I glued a piece of 1/4" square balsa from the control panel to the cockpit backing along the center line of the fuselage. This will be partially removed when the cockpit opening is cut, and will be trimmed away from the edge of the cockpit so that it is no longer visible. The sheeting was cut back about 1/16" from the front of the control panel in order to provide a lip for the cockpit sheeting to be glued to.

Looking at the cockpit it became apparent that I'd need to cut a gradual curve into the leading edge of the sheeting to accomodate the rearward slope of the cockpit. I'd never done this before, and so decided to make a paper template of the required curve before cutting the balsa. I lightly sprayed a sheet of paper with contact adhesive and tacked it down over the fuselage side. I then traced the outline of the fuselage opening onto the paper, pealed the paper off, layed it on top of the balsa sheeting, then cut a left and right side panel using the template.

Once the side panels were glued in the template process was then repeated for the top section of cockpit sheeting. Special care was taken when fitting the top sheeting to make sure that the joins between the left and right panels and the top sheeting were correctly aligned. Once the sheeting pieces were flush the joins were glued using thin CA.

Cheers,
Neil.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36133.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	320252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25127.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	320253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18817.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	320254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29316.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	320255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55662.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	320256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23470.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	320257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd68337.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	320258  
Old 09-06-2005, 09:48 AM
abufletcher

Good to see you on the move again! I'm always amazed at how LOOOOOOONG the nose on the SE5a is. This is one of the things that makes it such a great flying model as opposed to so many WWI aircraft.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Dai Phan

Mindwarp,

I need to offer my "hat off" to you on such a nice build thread of you SE5a. I am building the FA Albatross DIII and I know how much work it is to build, take pictures and write your report. I also post my built but far far much less detailed as yours. I am quite impressed of how you can manage your work day, family and then have the incentive to build! I am on the other hand single like a dollar bill, get home at 5:00 and wonder what to do that evening and still have hard time making myself sitting down to built, especially after a few beers... I have so much free time that it is a crime for me to let this slip away... I find that evenings are tough for me to work on a project because you get tired after a day's work, with after a trip to a local bar with steak and few beers then you get tired. How do you manage to work on your plane after such a hectic day's schedule? DP
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Mindwarp

Hehe - if you look at the last build post then you'll see that I'm not that successful at managing work, home and build at the same time. To tell the truth over the last month or so work's been so hard going that when I get home in the evening I've been putting the kids to bed then going to bed myself! Hopefully that'll change shortly once the piece of software I've been writing rolls out to production.

The wife and kids are out of the house this weekend so I had planned to build some more of the S.E.5a and get the thread going again. Unfortunately I managed to 'dumb thumbs' my Venture 60 into the runway from 3' up last weekend so now I have a new landing gear block to build and a wing rib to replace. I'll probably focus on that this weekend so that I can take the Venture up a few more times before the evil weather closes in (I live in Chicago - there's not much of the flying year left before five months of winter arrives!)

Anyway, thank's very much for the compliments. I'm glad that people have been enjoying the build thread, and as I said I hope to be getting it 'back on track' again soon.

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Here here .
Mindwarp, I too am very pleased to have found this post. I restarted in helis and have squirreled away a few Kits to build Your thread is not only a great "how to" and guide but also a good motivator.
Thank you very much for sharing your build and the brilliant pics. Mate

Im hanging out for the covering scenes (if you have done em)

Its blokes like you that really enhance this wonderfull hobby for everyone.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
abufletcher

I always promise myself that I'll get SOMETHING ANYTHING done each day -- even if it's just thinking about a solution to something on buying some bit of wood or hardware I need. I rarely sit down for the marathon 4 hour building session. For example, yesterday on my Flair Legionaire I just worked on getting the throttle linkage working.

Also you'd be amazed what you can do when you turn off the TV (or the TV's all in Japanese as in my case). Of course, it helps to have a kick-back job where you don't start work until 11am and are typcially finished by 4. Actually being overseas almost guarantees you'll have way more time than you could ever imagine dealing with.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:23 AM
mikenlapaz

mindwarp: Thanks for the time your spending documenting your build. It is quite impressive. Now that it is winter in your area, (mine also, put on long pants for 2 hours this morning 67 F) you can get back to the basement.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Mindwarp

Hehe, I'm trying, I'm trying. Unfortunately work hasn't eased up any and my wife won't be getting any less pregnant until the end of February, so my model building hours have been severely curtailed. Keep watching though - I'll be back building again as soon as I can!
Old 12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
kaksnapper

Enjoy your family and your build...It took me two years to build mine and my family is all grown.

Fun Aero is one of the best kits I've build. It has a great kit w/ the 1/6 scale and I hope someday to build the 1/4.

I put a O.S. 91 4S surpass in mine w/ a 14/6 prop. Pull-pull controls on rudder/elevator. High torgue servos for ailerons w/ 4/40 connecting rods instead of the 2/56. I covered her modesty w/ OD Green Solartex. I did moved the landing gear ahead an inch, you'll know why when you fly/land her. She's a no surprizes lady will allot of balls. Good luck with your wife/baby/ and build. You got all the time in the world. Later, ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63943.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	371761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39247.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	371762  
Old 12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

I think my friend Vern did the kit proofing on this plane and a few others from funaero when i was stationed at Shaw AFB, SC. I saw the quarter scale version at his house and was always impressed at the Fun Aero quality. Have fun building it. Nick
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
mikenlapaz

kaksnapper
I did moved the landing gear ahead an inch, you'll know why when you fly/land her
Did you have some flights on her before the LG movement; or was it a planned modification during initial construction?

Is it the 60" span model? Would you share the distance between c/l (centerlines) of the wheels, please?

Nice looking plane.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Mindwarp

She's a beauty! I just got the news the other day that FunAero are now shipping the 'deluxe' Williams Bros. additions to the kit, so hopefully I'll be having the guns and pilot delivered soon. I'm going to make a concerted effort to get down into the basement this holiday season to do a bit more work on the plane. Have to find the space heater before I do that though, as it's really cold down there. We've only had one day in the last three weeks where the temperature has risen above freezing, and our basement is like a refrigerator!

Hope I can post some pictures here really soon now,

Neil.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
kaksnapper

You lucky to get the Williams products now after they've stopped production. Mine were included cause I purchased it from a guy on ebay that wanted to go to a larger scale 3 years ago.

To answer the other questions. Yes, 60" wing span, 5 inch wheels, centerline wheel distance is 13 1/4 inches, axle length is 14 3/4". I think that's what you want? Or do you want C/G to wheel center? I'm eye ballin this, I'd say a little more than an 1"-1 1/2".

After approx. 6 flights...I didn't have guts enought to fly her FIRST, I had my test pilot maiden her. She kept flipping over on landing, very little damage to Rudder. The pivot point for the wheels was so close to the C/G that it was suggested that I moved the wheels ahead...try yours, it's no big deal after contruction. Also be sure to balance her...with a heavy Brass Higgins Hub Nut, I still had to add 9 ozs to the nose.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
mikenlapaz

Yes, spread or centerline distance was what I was looking for. 22% of span. If I'm following you on the relocation of landing gear,
1) Currently the axle is 1-1.5" forward of C.G.; (about the distance axle to outer edge of rim) ;
2) How much did you move the landing forward?
3) Did you change the mounting locations of the landing gear or just change the lengths and angles of the gear?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:36 AM
immelman50

I've been flying a Funaero Se-5 for a number of years. I love how it flies and looks in the air but I seem to have overheating problems with the cowl set up. I've tried any number of things. Baffles around the engine ( older Saito 80 four stroke), replacing the louvers on the cowl with screen etc. It flies great with the removable section of the cowl off but consistantly overheats with it on. It may indeed be an engine problem rather than the design.. I'm using a 13-9 scimitar profile master airscrew wood prop, well with in recommendeed size in the engine's instructions and fuel with plenty of oil in it.

I used the kit cutout in the bottom of the forward fuselage bottom for air escape and will next try enlarging that.

Anyone with ideas or experiences along these lines with this plane?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
immelman50

Oops that should read 13-8 prop. One thing I had to do after flying it for a while was install a stronger hinge on the moveable tailskid. I used a small hinge from the hardware store intended for cabinets or jewelry boxes, I think. Our grass field can be rough at times, so not everyone would need to do this.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
LMProd

Overheating ????????

I am about to start building the Se5a. I am concerned about the overheating problem in the engine compartment. Has any one else experienced that problem ? Should I make larger exit holes ?

Thanks
Gary
Old 12-31-2005, 11:54 PM
ElectRick

ORIGINAL: kaksnapper

You lucky to get the Williams products now after they've stopped production. Mine were included cause I purchased it from a guy on ebay that wanted to go to a larger scale 3 years ago.
Williams Brothers Model Products has been back in operation for several months now. I would bet that FunAero are one of their new OEM customers. This would explain the WB accessories being newly offered with their kits.

Rick
Old 02-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Mindwarp

Hello all,

It's been ages since I've posted to this thread, so I thought I'd just update everyone as to the situation.

All the while that I was building the S.E.5a I actually had a second kit going at the same time. As I got further into the 'bipe it became apparent that the second kit was going to be the one that took up more and more of my time, and the S.E.5a got put on hold.

I'm here to announce that the second kit is now finished! It was rolled out on Friday evening, and so I'll hopefully have more time to work on the 'bipe again now. I've attached a picture of the end product, and I'm pretty pleased with the way that it turned out.

His name is Alexander William Vickers, and he was delivered on Friday evening. I've had a chat with him, and I'm pretty sure that he expressed a preference for biplanes over monoplanes. I also mentioned whether he had any opinions on ARF's and he spat up on me. I guess we'll be seeing posts from him on this forum in the not too distant future

Maybe now I'll be able to start in on the S.E.5a again. I'm guessing that I'm going to have plenty of opportunity in the early hours of the morning. Hey, I figure I'll get him used to the smell of balsa early [8D]
Old 02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
teufelhund

Hey Mindwarp, Where are his flying wires? Just to make him a little more scale. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to spit up when asked my opinion on ARF's also. Seriously though, CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW DELIVERY! If you get to work on another one now, you'll have a rear gunner for a 1/3 scale Albotross CIII in a couple years! Congrats again, and hope everyone continues in good health. Ben
Old 02-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Mindwarp

Oh, there'll be no more little pilots from this flight school! He's number three, and I fully intend to have a permanent kink placed in my fuel lines now, if you catch my drift [:@]
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
skypix
My Feedback: (3)

Great thread...congratulations on the little Vickers addition to the hangar...does anyone know where I can get a FunAero kit? I've had no luck in two weeks communicating with the company...any online or hobby shops sell them?

thanks
Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.