Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be aware that Tower's coupon codes only apply to shippable items. I just tried to order and so many items were on back order that I could not reach the coupon level. Then there is always the annoying message on other items. Quite sad to see this happen to a good long standing company with one of the best paper catalogs out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.23.20 PM.png
Views:	180
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	2250992  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a starter box for my old Duratrax truck that was on my wish list from Tower. Figured I better get it, since it looks like NOS and probably will be gone forever soon.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, here's some more news: Sam's club has closed 260 stores in five states including Illinois.
As predicted there is now an ongoing retail outlet extinction.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

63 stores Jolly
Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 AM
evlwevl-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a hobby consumer, its hard to keep up with the changing market. I believe in brand name stuff, but when I've just slapped down over a grand for a new Losi short course truck with a tekin brushless and lipo setup, its going to take a while before I can buy again. Its not like the old days where I could have picked up 2 or 3 Tamiya cars and radios and have been good for a year. $400-$500 RTR price tags are starting to become the norm. What newbie is able to get into that game and try it? Then we have the FAA on our backs making me feel like a criminal every time I pull out my quadcopter.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Stickslammer

Kudos to Tower for calling me about a problem with my credit card. A nice lady called and the problem got fixed.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Just a note to put out in the "Web": I've been a customer of Tower Hobbies since 1980 and really sad to see them go. I didn't think they would dissolve, but it seems inevitable now. I just browsed the site and Hobbico NiMh HydriMax batteries are listed not as "Backorder" but as "Not Carried"! Really a death knell that I didn't think was possible; wow was I wrong. Almost all of the OS Max glow engines are listed as "Backorder". Most of the products that I would buy from them are now on backorder or not carried or gone.

Just a rant to bemoan the death of the local hobby shops and now the death of Tower Hobbies. Not a decision on which came first, the chicken or the egg, just a comment on the status of the hobby/sport.

Gene
Old 01-31-2018, 04:59 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been a long time Tower user also ans will miss them greatly .DLE engines are also in distribution by
Valley View RC again . Apparently Tower is not the sole US distributor anymore.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hopefully some other company will become a distributor of OS and Futaba.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM
CK1

I'm sure someone will pick them up . I cant imagine either of them leaving the US market.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:07 AM
acdii

A chance for SIG to step in and distribute. They used to sell Saito and Airtronics back in the 90's. Still have their 1997 catalog, has Hazel's signature on it too.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 AM
CK1

Hobbico released a statement from their HR dept. refering to immanent layoffs in April when the center closes, but also stated the new owners may take in the layoff employess . Sounds like a potential buyer may be lined up .
Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Me thinks I'll buy now and worry later.....
Old 02-02-2018, 07:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Me thinks I'll buy now and worry later.....

Add me to that list.

Most of the comments here are speculation, not fact. I'll continue to buy from Tower and have confidence in them.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Stickslammer

Here`s hoping that Tower, like many other U.S. companies, will see a big improvement in their bottom line with the tax reform taking effect. How many here are gonna buy that nice model on their wish list with that bonus they may have gotten? I didn`t get one, but maybe the big boss will start feeling a bit generous.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dream on!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM
NIpilot

Default Seriously changing times

It's been a turbulent time lately in the hobby world. I recently purchased a Great Planes Citabria over Christmas time and was so excited to receive the kit.
Opened the box and should have sent it back but kept it. Wrinkled like a prune. Worse than anything I'd ever seen before. Spent over 10 hrs using every trick I ever knew about Monokote and still looks like a hack job.
I've been trying to get myself motivated to get seriously back into a hobby I've enjoyed off and on for over 45 yrs. Problem is, every time I invest my money into something that appeals to "me" I find myself staring at a useless, outdated POS.
I've been into Miniature Aircraft Helicopters, JR Helicopters, Century Helicopters, Blade Helicopters; only to watch every one of them disappear.
My J.R. Radio stock is embarrassing. I believe I have 6 of the 955pcm receivers not worth $1 each now.
I have no illusions about the hobby moving forward but, its gone at such a rapid pace that manufacturers have just left their customers behind in droves.
I love anything to do with flying and all types of flying machines. It makes me a bit sad to see what has become of the hobby world. No matter what ones particular interest is.
I was looking for another 30 sized gasser project to consider and went from site to site and most of what is shown online is mysteriously "out of stock". To me that's code for, the industry is in a heap of financial trouble? Maybe, maybe not. Just guessing.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It certainly is in flux right now.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:48 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by NIpilot
It's been a turbulent time lately in the hobby world. I recently purchased a Great Planes Citabria over Christmas time and was so excited to receive the kit.
Opened the box and should have sent it back but kept it. Wrinkled like a prune. Worse than anything I'd ever seen before. Spent over 10 hrs using every trick I ever knew about Monokote and still looks like a hack job.
I've been trying to get myself motivated to get seriously back into a hobby I've enjoyed off and on for over 45 yrs. Problem is, every time I invest my money into something that appeals to "me" I find myself staring at a useless, outdated POS.
I've been into Miniature Aircraft Helicopters, JR Helicopters, Century Helicopters, Blade Helicopters; only to watch every one of them disappear.
My J.R. Radio stock is embarrassing. I believe I have 6 of the 955pcm receivers not worth $1 each now.
I have no illusions about the hobby moving forward but, its gone at such a rapid pace that manufacturers have just left their customers behind in droves.
I love anything to do with flying and all types of flying machines. It makes me a bit sad to see what has become of the hobby world. No matter what ones particular interest is.
I was looking for another 30 sized gasser project to consider and went from site to site and most of what is shown online is mysteriously "out of stock". To me that's code for, the industry is in a heap of financial trouble? Maybe, maybe not. Just guessing.
Nno one will build a better plane than you, so if you really want to get back into it, get a SIG kit and go to town on it, bet you wont be disappointed then!

If you haven't actually built anything from a box of wood, and just assembled ARF and RTF things, I can see how it can get old quickly. I think the most enjoyment I get out of this hobby is the time I spend turning the wood into something that flies. Not many can actually grasp why builders frown upon the ARF, but some eventually do discover what we are about. I have a few ARF, they are OK, but the planes I actually built I enjoy the most and take better care of them than the ARF. My Something Xtra is an ARF, and I fly the crap out of it, and it shows, the wings wobble, and are loose, though secured as they wont come off in flight, but I wont spend any time to repair it. If it goes in and gets smashed, I have another one new in the shipping package. My LT-40 though was my first kit that I built from a box of wood, and I enjoy it the most and take good care of it.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

I often wonder if the decline in the hobby is for lack of kits to build. I am of the era that if you wanted to fly Rc plane you had to build it from at least a kit. Yes, ARF's were around but very, very expensive and really not made very good. They were mostly plastic and really heavy. I have always preferred building because it was more satisfying to me. I do have some ARF planes now but the fact is kit manufacturers haven't come up with anything new in a long time. SIG, Greatplanes, Goldberg, etc. have the same kits they have had for the last 20 years or so. Now if I want to build and have to comb the classifieds to see if I can find and old kit that isn't made anymore. I just recently acquired a Greatplanes super sportster bipe. I think the industry has mostly ignored those of us who love to build. Why can't they offer a kit version of all these ARF's that come out every 10 seconds? I'm not knocking those who don't want to build. It's what they like. But it would be nice to see new kits come out.

I guess I'm just disappointed about the state of the hobby.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The writing on the wall is written in huge letters.

Hobby Express Extended Auction | Hobby Express Blog: Your Home For The Best R/C Topics, News, And Information On The Web

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...l#post12348839

Last edited by fliers1; 02-04-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Stickslammer

Originally Posted by tailskid
Dream on!
Well, I consider myself a "glass half full" type of guy. Dreams do come true sometimes.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 PM
NIpilot

I taught myself to fly on a Sig Kadet Mark1. The 3 channel one. I had an Enya 35 BB and a MRC 775 radio.
Been through several dozen kits over the years. AeroMasters, Mustangs, and about half of everything Sig made back in the day. Skybolt, Mini Plane, King Kobra, Sig 40 sized Cub, 1/5 scale Cub, and their 1/4 scale Cub on floats.
I miss the building but if I'm to participate with my busy schedule, I rely now on ARFs, and even they seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate.
Started helicopters back in 1976 and I want to tell you they were a challenge and then some back in the days before collective pitch and gyros. Probably owned 20 helicopter over the years. Most of that is now gone. Too hard for most folks and that was the appeal to me. It took skill and mechanical perseverance to prevail. No yank it out of the box, crash it and move on.
Best looking ARF I ever assembled is the Great Planes Lancair. I still own it and its a beauty. Very, very well put together. Fit and finish is top notch. Hard to find much like it anymore. All foam board wonder machines. LOL
I'm just getting older and grumpier. I miss my old hobby.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
acdii

My first RC was a Cricket Heli. You changed blade pitch with a crescent wrench! I had just about learned how to hover it when a slight gust of wind caused a boom strike that shattered the transmission. That was the end of that one. I had a green and yellow ARF back then too, it was late 80's. Sort of looked like a stick from what I remember, it was foam and wood. I think balsa ribs with foam board covering for the wings, ply box and foam for the fuse, and similar for the tail. It was .25 2 stroke powered 4 channels. I flew it once, and since it was AM back then, got too close to a pager and lost radio and got shot down. It basically flew in a straight line right into some trees. I eventually recovered it, it was a complete loss, but was able to salvage the radio, which I still have, and the engine, which I traded off. It may have been a 3 channel plane because I only have 3 servos.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:01 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any connection between Tower Hobbies and Omni Models? Both are located in the same city in Illinois. Tower has been out of stock on many items which Omni usually has so they have been my back up when I can't get stuff from my local shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.