Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Just Curious

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Just Curious

Old 02-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just Curious

Just curious if the AMA members here give a damn or not that AMA HQ is basically tanking financially?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I care to the extent that it would be most unfortunate for anyone to lose their job. If it would have a devastating effect on the aircraft modeling community and industry, than I can`t see why they can`t seem to get it together or at least give some indication that they`re working on a solution. I belong to a club. If the AMA were to be no more than I think that the club would be able to figure something out, as would many others around the country. As a sport flyer my involvement with the AMA amounts to mailing them a check for $75.00 every year and filling out election ballots when necessary.
If I were told that there was no doubt that I would not be allowed to fly my glow powered ply and balsa airplanes if the AMA folded, than I would have to get off my lazy butt and start writing letters and making phone calls.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:52 AM
Appowner
Banned

Would appear most AMA members here do NOT give a damn.

Sad!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The insurance for land owners who let clubs lease flying sires is important. Without it, it would likely become harder than it is to find places to fly.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
Would appear most AMA members here do NOT give a damn.

Sad!
Maybe their not suffering from the Henny Penny syndrome LOL and are just satisfied with the job the officials that have been elected are doing unlike a few disgruntled non members.

Some Canadians competing in Florida this weekend nothing has changed from the years previous. The sky doesn't seem to be falling??????
Greetings from central Florida where no less than 7 Canadian IMAC'ers from Ontario and Quebec have assembled to practice for and compete in the IMAC contest being hosted this coming weekend Mar. 16-17 by the Ocala Flying Model Club.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-17-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
The insurance for land owners who let clubs lease flying sires is important. Without it, it would likely become harder than it is to find places to fly.
Funny thing is that insurance is a relatively new option. Not sure exactly when it came about but if memory serves it was around 25 years ago. I know for some members it seems like it was always there. But for those of us who were first members in the 1960's, we can remember a time when such a policy was unavailable. And I believe finding flying sites was much easier back then too. I know my first club flew on the local airport property.

I recall this insurance option came about when clubs started to have more and more trouble getting flying sites. Due in part to our increasingly litigious society. And they cried to the AMA to "Do Something!"
Not suggesting it's a bad idea. But it does lock one into being an AMA member in a Chartered Club.

Now maybe, were the AMA to offer said insurance to non-members and individuals? Maybe, just maybe generate some additional revenue? Maybe even offer the personal liability to non-members? Just a thought to help them raise some more cash. But don't get the impression I'm actually trying to help them in any way!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Been a member since the late 70s and always had the insurance

Not sure what the reference about "being locked into being a member of a chartered club" is about though, that has nothing to do with your insurance.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

only a chartered club can get the site owner specific insurance.
individual members get the secondary liability policy.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Been a member since the late 70s and always had the insurance

Not sure what the reference about "being locked into being a member of a chartered club" is about though, that has nothing to do with your insurance.
Site insurance is currently offered ONLY to chartered clubs with 5 or more members. For an individual to partake of such a deal they have to be a club member. Locked in so to speak. Duh!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
only a chartered club can get the site owner specific insurance.
individual members get the secondary liability policy.
Currently that's the way it is. I'm suggesting some changes. In part as an effort to increase revenue while offering non-members something they may want/need but can't come up with. But that would be contrary to current AMA philosophy.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 AM
BarracudaHockey

It's all about context, I didn't read what you quoted, just what you said.

There's a persistent myth that AMA coverage only applies at Club fields but it seems you know the difference.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 AM
Appowner
Banned

It's all about context, I didn't read what you quoted, just what you said.

There's a persistent myth that AMA coverage only applies at Club fields but it seems you know the difference.
Two insurance programs. The site coverage is currently available only to charter clubs. It is for a specific site and is primary coverage for the land owner ONLY. Not the club or individual members.

The individual liability insurance you get with membership is good anywhere you decide to fly. However, it is secondary insurance paying off only after all other insurance you may have have been used. In addition the first $250,000 is covered not by the insurance company but by the AMA itself.

Now how is it a non-member like me seems to know more about the AMA than most members?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

I didn't need clarification, I know plenty about the AMA insurance. Thanks

I just mis-read what you wrote and tried to correct a common myth.

I already said "my bad"
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, now that the insurance coverage is covered, time to move on to other issues.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:54 AM
Appowner
Banned

I didn't need clarification, I know plenty about the AMA insurance. Thanks

I just mis-read what you wrote and tried to correct a common myth.

I already said "my bad"
Don't take it personal. It wasn't meant like that. Communication is the key here. Too many people are looking more to be offended than to learn and grow. Too many thin skinned anymore.